The City of Panama City invites members of the public for a second time to join elected officials, staff, and engineering consultants for a Sea Level Rise Vulnerability Assessment Public Meeting to discuss Adaptation Strategies at selected Focus Areas within the City. The focus of this second meeting will be to discuss Adaptation Strategies at selected focus areas within Panama City.
Date: November 16, 2023 from 6 to 8 p.m. (Presentation at 6:10 p.m. with discussion to follow)
Location: Bay County Government Center, located at 840 W. 11th Street
- The selected Focus Areas are locations where adaptation strategy components will direct its attention based on outcomes from the Vulnerability Assessment and the priorities discussed at the previous public meeting in which flood risk maps depicting current and future conditions were shared.
- Adaptation strategies range from Protection, Accommodation, Retreat/Relocation, Avoidance, and Procedural.
- Participants will have the opportunity to contribute their insights and feedback to the vulnerability assessment process, provide local knowledge of selected focus area conditions, and preferred methods and strategies for adaptation.
- Following a project informational presentation, breakout sessions will be held for each identified focus area to review suggested strategies and gather citizen input and preferences.
WHY ATTEND THIS PUBLIC MEETING
- Understand available adaptation strategies for vulnerable areas: By attending, participants will have the opportunity to learn about the available adaptation strategies for different site conditions and how they can be implemented to reduce vulnerabilities to tidal flooding, storm surge, sea level rise, rainfall, and compound flooding. City representatives and experts will provide clarifications and insights.
- Provide input and insights: This public meeting provides a platform for residents, business owners, and stakeholders to contribute their perspectives, experiences, and ideas for the selected adaptation strategies utilized throughout the community. Participants will be able to review information explaining the recommended strategies for focus areas, discuss their applicability, and provide insights to alternate solutions.
- Engage with the community: This public meeting serves as an opportunity to connect with fellow residents, business owners, and stakeholders. Facilitators for each selected focus area will summarize key points gathered from the open discussion.