Code Enforcement

Abandoned Vehicles

The procedure for removing abandoned vehicles is handled by the Code Enforcement Department. The method of removal is based upon whether the vehicle is located on public or private property. All derelict, disabled, or unlicensed motor vehicles must be parked or stored within an enclosed structure such as a garage.

If the vehicle is located on private property and is not so enclosed, the owner will be notified that the vehicle must be removed or placed within an approved enclosure. If the vehicle is not removed or placed within an approved enclosure within an allotted time, the owner will be fined and the vehicle will be removed at the owner's expense.

If a vehicle is abandoned on city property, the vehicle will be tagged and, if possible, the owner will be notified that the vehicle must be removed. If the vehicle is not timely removed, the Code Enforcement Department will have the vehicle towed at the owner's expense.

Anyone wishing to report abandoned vehicles anywhere within the city limits of the City of Panama City, please call the Code Enforcement Department at (850) 872-3000.

"Junk" Open Storage Violations

The Code Enforcement Department enforces Chapter 18 of the Panama City Municipal Code. This section states that it is unlawful for any person to place or leave on any property in the city any dilapidated furniture, appliance, machinery, equipment, building material or other item, which is either wholly or partially rusted, wrecked, junked, dismantled or in inoperative condition and which is not completely enclosed within a building.

Most junk violations are reported to Code Enforcement office via citizen concerns. If the Code Enforcement Officer determines that a property is not in compliance with the code, a notice of violation is issued to the owner allowing 10 days to correct these violations. If violations are not corrected within the time allowed, the city may bring the violator before the Code Enforcement Board at which time the work may be contracted, and a lien placed on the property for the cost of the work. If you wish to make a complaint, please provide an accurate address for developed properties or a specific location description for vacant lots.

For further information or to file a complaint, please call the Code Enforcement Department at (850) 872-3000.

Noise Ordinance

Because certain sounds at certain levels can be harmful to the health and welfare of citizens, the City Commission prohibits excessive and annoying sounds within the city limits of Panama City. The city's noise ordinance regulates specific times certain noise sources can be operated and defines noise limits within the city limits.

Events or actions may be prohibited if they cause a noise disturbance. These could include continuously barking dogs, noisy construction equipment, horns and signaling devices not being used for a danger warning, radios and TV sets, and engine repair and testing. Violation of this ordinance is a class one misdemeanor and could result in a fine and/or criminal prosecution.

If you suspect the city's noise ordinance is being violated, contact the Panama City Police Department at (850) 872-3112.

Unfit/Unsafe Structures

Any unfit / unsafe dwelling or structure is considered a nuisance and in violation of the Panama City Municipal Code. If you have received a notice of violation and are required to repair or demolish an unfit / unsafe structure or if you would like to file a complaint about such a structure, please contact the Code Enforcement Department.

A building permit is required for commercial or residential demolitions. For more information please contact the Planning and Land Use Department, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., at (850) 872-3025.

Weed & Debris Control

Unsightly weeds and yard debris are considered a nuisance within the City of Panama City. The Department of Code Enforcement enforces the Nuisance Ordinance. The ordinance requires that any accumulations of trash and debris be cleaned up from properties. It also requires that any overgrowth of grass and underbrush be cut and cleared within 150 feet of a structure. If you have questions concerning a notice of violation you have received or wish to report a violation, please call the Department of Code Enforcement at (850) 872-3000.